Saturday, November 13, 2004

First Trip into Seoul

Today I went into Seoul with my friend from work, Chris, for some early Christmas shopping. I finally got on the subway for the first time, and let me tell you, these Koreans do not have a problem cramming as many people in as they can.

We got off the subway at Seoul Station, which is right in the heart of downtown Seoul. We decided to take a taxi to Insadong, which is a long street full of souvenir shops, bakeries, cafes, and street vendors. However, we had to take a major detour because some students were about to stage a major demonstration. Police officers dressed in full riot gear and riot buses covered in wire mesh were lining the streets for blocks! Who cares what they were rioting about...I had some serious shopping to do!

Insadong was bustling with people...it reminds me a bit of the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica, except for the cars and scooters tempting you with your life every few minutes. I actually saw tons of foreigners, as well...based on the multitude of buzzcuts strolling around, it's safe to assume that many of the people there were US military.

It was definitely hard trying to buy presents for other people, with so many fabulous things to see. Major items included tea sets, pottery, ceramics, jewelry, paper lanterns, stationary, and wooden and paper boxes. I could have stayed there all day...except it was outdoors and about 35 degrees!


Insadong Shopping District. Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home