Sunday, December 26, 2004

Japan, Day 1: Arrival in Osaka

Allright! I made it to Japan, and I love it already! Christmas morning, I was busy packing and making sure I had everything I needed for a week in the Land of the Rising Sun (I hope that's the right saying!). I arrived at the airport with plenty of time before my 6:45 flight. I arrived at Kansai International Airport outside of Osaka around 9:00 pm. I hopped on train and finally made it to my hostel, Sumo Backpacker's, just after 10:00 pm.


My elegant hostel in Osaka. Posted by Hello

I threw my bag in a locker, changed clothes, and went for a walk through the Kita district, looking for any signs of other foreigners with which to celebrate Christmas. Just as I was about to give up all hope, a crazy Morroccan hoping to practice English dragged me into a bar. I gave him five minutes of conversation before calling it a night. However, I forgot to pay attention to landmarks, and ended up getting seriously lost in the dark streets of Osaka! I finally gave in and hopped in a taxi, which took me on a 5-minute (and $10) ride back to my hostel. Whew!

I woke up this morning bright and early at 7:30, took a shower, and set out for the train station. It was my plan to head an hour west through Kobe to Himeji for the morning, but first I had to purchase a 5-day rail pass. The railways have a seasonal offer for 5-days unlimited travel on local trains for 11,500 Yen (about $110 US). The regular rail passes for 7 days are over $200, so of course I'm poor, and therefore cheap, so I chose the 5-day pass. I paid my money, walked to the platform, but a bottle of water, and got on the train bound for Himeji around 9:30 am. So far, so good.


The great Umeda Sky Building in downtown Osaka. Posted by Hello

Ha! If any of you know me very well, you'll know that nothing in my life goes without a hitch. As I settled in the train, I realized I had no idea where my rail pass was. I looked in my money belt...nothing. I looked in my bag...nothing...pockets, nope...I even thought maybe it went down my pants! Anyway, I had to get off at the next stop, go back to the Osaka station, and retrace my steps. Then I went back to the ticket counter and explained the situation. Rules are rules, they told me...too bad, you have to buy a new pass. So I sat down on the bench, had a good cry, checked my possessions one last time, and dished out another $110 for a new pass.

Let's hope I use my brain the rest of the week!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home