Sunday, December 26, 2004

Japan, Day 2: Himeji

Well, once I got through reaming myself for being so stupid and irresponsible, I picked myself up by the bootstraps and got on the next train bound for Himeji. It was about a 1-hour ride. We went through Kobe, the site of the devastating 1995 earthquake, but I decided to just view it through the train windows rather than have a walk around.


Himeji Castle is also known as "The White Egret." Posted by Hello

Himeji is a small town just west of Osaka and Himeji, and it's the home of the famous Himeji Castle. It was built in 1333 by some prince and it's absolutely enchanting...I was literally breathless when I first saw it. I paid a small entrance fee and walked through the castle grounds before removing my shoes and entering the castle. It was amazing...huge wooden pillars, doors, narrow staircases, and thick walls lined with rows upon rows of gun and spear racks. I was quite surprised that visitors were allowed to climb all the way to the very top turret...unlike historical buildings elsewhere in the world, nothing was roped off. And, of course, the entire castle was surrounded by a moat!


Looking down a long corridor in the princess' wing in Himeji Castle. Posted by Hello

After I'd had my fill of the castle, I got back on the train for Osaka. I still had some unfinished business in Osaka...I wanted to take a picture of the Umeda Sky Building. After that, I made a quick stop at a coffee shop for a latte, and a Japanese man came and sat with me and made my day with half of his chocolate bar. After a few minutes of confusing conversation, I bid adieu and went back to the station. Next stop...Kyoto.


A view of the city from the top turret in Himeji Castle. Posted by Hello

I arrived in Kyoto around 5:30 pm and easily found my hostel. It is K's House Kyoto, and is much, much nicer than my hostel in Osaka. I share a dorm-style room with four other gals. I've only met one of them, a nice Japanese girl from Tokyo and I honestly can't repeat her name if you paid me. It's 6:30 pm now and I'm contemplating what to do tonight. My tired aching body is begging to take a bath and go to bed, but hey, there's plenty of time for sleep when I get home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home