Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Japan, Day 5: Nara

First and foremost, I am proud to say that I am not homeless tonight! Since I was unable to score a seat on tonight's train, I will be leaving for Tokyo bright and early tomorrow at 5:30 am...ouch! Fortunately, there was a cancellation here at the hostel, so I just had to move into another room with two Canadian guys (sorry dad, it's either that or sleep out on the street).


Kofuku-ji Temple and 5-story pagoda. Posted by Hello

This morning I woke up to the sound of rain spattering against my window! Boo! It was pouring rain, but I downed a few cups of green tea, bundled up, and set out to the train station, armed with my umbrella, of course. Today's destination: Nara, Japan's first capital city. My Lonely Planet book states that "Whatever you do, try to go to Nara on a fine day, as visiting the sites requires a lot of walking, and it's no fun at all in bad weather." Right. Anyway, I stepped off the train in Nara, and as I was walking outside I realized I had left my umbrella on board. What's wrong with me? So like any good tourist, I went to the convenience store and bought the ever-popular, ever-stylish poncho. I was lookin' good!


Todai-ji's Daibutsu-den (Hall of the Great Buddha) is the largest wooden building in the world. Posted by Hello

Nara is a pretty small town with lots of good temples and shrines. Being quite templed-out at this point, however, I just hit the major places. My first temple grounds, Kofuku-ji, was built in 710 and includes quite an impressive 5-story pagoda. The next place I visited was definitely my favorite. Todai-ji is the home of probably the world's largest bronze Buddha. On either side of him are two extremely large Buddhasattvas (that's probably not the right word, but it sounds good). I know I've used this word way too much this week, but it was simply amazing. And for the first time, we were actually allowed to take pictures!


The Great Buddha: To give you an idea of how big this guy is, I could probably fit into one of his nostrils. Posted by Hello

After Todai-ji, I walked around a bit, and the weather finally improved a bit. I walked through Nara Park, which is filled with heaps of stinky deer...apparently the Buddhists think they are sacred or something.


One of the Buddhasattvas flanking the massive Buddha at Todai-ji Temple. Posted by Hello

I finally hopped back on the train for Kyoto around 4:30 pm, bought some sushi at the market, and back to the hostel I came. I must be in bed soon so that I can get up around 4:30 am...not looking forward to that, but I am excited about getting to Tokyo and meeting up with Kelly. And keep your fingers crossed that it's a fine day so that I can see Mt. Fuji from the train!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home