Saturday, January 01, 2005

Japan, Day 7: New Year's Eve...and Food Poisoning!

This was the one day from my Japan trip I would like to forget! Kelly and I woke up to a cloudy day, deciding to set out to check out the sights around Tokyo. Our first stop was the Meiji-Jingu Shrine. Unfortunately, the shrine itself was closed off due to the preparation for the evening's expected 1-million visitors. As we were walking around, a light snow began to fall. We then looked for a place to have lunch, but with little luck. The snow began to fall even harder, so we gladly got back on the subway bound for Shibuya, a major entertainment district in Tokyo. By the time we got off on our stop, the snow was blanketing the city and the winds were howling. Now, keep in mind that the only time this southern girl has been in snow is at the top of the mountain with the warmth of ski clothes and a snowboard strapped to my feet.


The Meiji-Jingu shrine in the snow. Posted by Hello

Needless to say, I was not taking very well to the cold and the snow, so thank goodness we finally found a warm restaurant with a legible menu. I had a meal of dodgy chicken, rice, and soup before getting back on the subway. We then headed to the Imperial Palace, home of Japan's emperor. Upon arriving, the snow had turned to rain, so we basically ran through the slush, snapped a few photos, and hopped back on the train heading to the hotel.


Outside the Imperial Palace on a rainy, snowy day. Posted by Hello

When we got to the hotel, we sat around a bit trying to decide what we wanted to do for the evening's festivities. We had originally planned on visiting a temple or a shrine, which is the first stop for many of the Japanese ringing in the New Year. However, the thought of standing in line in the cold, wind, and snow for over an hour just did not appeal to us. We decided to head back to Shibuya to a club...as we were sitting there, my body began to shiver and feel nauseous. I blew it off, but by the time we left the hotel around 9:15 pm, I was feeling awful. When we got to Shibuya, we found a sushi restaurant, but I could not even look at the food. I tried to order some soup, but as soon as the smell hit me, I had to run out of the restuarant. I sprinted to the first alley I could find and literally lost my lunch. I went back to the restaurant, Kelly finished and paid for her meal, and back outside we went. We then walked into a nearby bar, I ordered a small $5 bottle of water, using every bit of willpower I had to remain standing.


It's c-c-c-c-c-old! Posted by Hello

Unfortunately, I ran out of the bar a few times, but they were all false alarms. Finally, Kelly graciously walked around with me outside so that I could get some fresh air. It was freezing cold, so we stepped into a Starbucks to warm up a bit...big mistake! Within minutes I had to run out, but this time I didn't make it to a hidden alley, but instead to a closed storefront right on the main street. Of course, seeing someone puking at 3:00 am on New Year's morning is quite a common and expected occurance; however, it is not normal to see someone doing it at 11:00 pm, and the passersby were sure to make a big deal out of it. As I was wretchedly bent over, feeling like my world was ending, people were laughing and pointing, but I honestly did not care. There's no room for pride when you feel as crappy as I did.


One of the corner buildings in the main square in Shibuya. Posted by Hello

Kelly found me and like any good girlfriend patted my back and helped me wipe the tears from my face. I decided to be a trooper for her sake, lied that I felt much better, and together we went to another club where they were hosting a huge New Year's Party. We stood in line for about 30 minutes before I finally told her that I didn't think I could tough it out anymore. So then we went to the main square, where supposedly they were closing off the streets for a Times Square-ish countdown. Everyone was screaming and yelling (while I was doing my darndest to take as many gulps of fresh air that I could) until I looked at my watch and realized it was 12:03 am...there wasn't even a countdown!!! We were so disappointed! I turned to Kelly, gave her a half-hearted "Happy New Year," and together we walked back to the subway. I was in my hotel bed, with a "just-in-case" trash can beside my bed, by 1:30 am.

Of all the days in my life that I would have to get food poisoning, it would have to be on New Year's Eve in Tokyo. I felt so miserable, but more so for poor Kelly than for myself. I am so grateful that she took care of me with no complaints, and I felt terrible for ruining her New Year's in Tokyo, too! Note to self: no matter how hungry you are, if the chicken tastes funky, don't eat it!!!

Even though it was a restless sleep, I managed to get through the night without needing my trashcan. And finally, after living in L.A. for a year without feeling so much as a tremor, I awoke at 5:15 am to the whole building shaking! It was my first earthquake! I was so tired and weak that I just laid there and let it shake me for awhile before going back to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home