Sunday, January 02, 2005

Japan, Day 9: Farewell!

Oh, I am so sad! My week in Japan has finally come to an end! This morning I woke up bright and early, and Kelly and I bid adieu to our lovely hotel. Kelly had an early flight, so I walked her to the subway station and said goodbye before heading to the nearby district of Asakusa for a quick walk around.


The entrance to the Asakusa district. Posted by Hello

Asakusa is a very retro area also known as "Old Edo," since the area hasn't changed at all in the many years since Tokyo was once called Edo. I loved it here, and it was so nice to get away from the neon lights of the city and see the true backstreets of Tokyo. In my week in Japan, I hadn't bought one single souvenir for myself, so in the short time I was wandering through Asakusa, I found what I'd been looking for...a lovely little Japanese robe and a red paper lantern. I also managed to complete my Christmas shopping...for 2005, of course! Always have to be one step ahead!


The Asakusa ("Old Edo") shopping district. Posted by Hello

An hour later, I hopped on the Tokyo Monorail and headed for Haneda airport for my 2:00 pm flight. I arrived in Seoul around 4:15 pm, took the subway, walked the mile home from my subway station, and finally fell into my apartment around 6:00 pm.

Whew...what a week! I feel like I have been gone for years, but at the same time I feel like my vacation wasn't quite long enough. I really loved Japan...the people are so friendly, the fashions are awe-inspiring, and the temples and shrines left me speechless at times. I know Japan is not on everyone's "Must See" list, but it should be. I will surely go back again, probably not to Tokyo, but definitely to Kyoto.

I can't believe I have to go to work in the morning! I need another vacation!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home