Sunday, January 23, 2005

Pita Bread and Spray Butter

Friday night I tried to work off some of my pent-up OCD (I guess I should call it what it is) at the gym, but I only managed to pound away on the treadmill for 20 minutes before giving up and heading home. The pleasure of treating my hair to a day of pampering is going to take a bit longer than expected!

Saturday afternoon I met Kelly in Itaewon to run some errands. Thanks to the former resident of my apartment, I have a working English cell phone, so now I can join every other person in Korea (between the ages of 4 and 99) who have "handphones" glued to their ears. In Korea, you have to buy a prepaid calling card, which seems a bit expensive in comparison with US cell phone plans. However, you are not charged a penny (er...won?) for incoming calls, which is nice. Now if only someone will call me!

After traipsing through some bookstores and sightseeing "Hooker Hill" by day, we stopped in at a local pub for some refreshments before our next destination: Hannam Market. This store is located one subway stop from Itaewon and is well-known among the foreigner circuit as the place to go for treats from home. I don't understand how it happened, but we got confused by the directions (Subway Line 6, Exit 2, walk along the walk for 5 minutes) and got a bit lost, but we finally reached the store. Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed...I was hoping to find rows upon rows of granola and brown rice and maybe even wheat tortillas.

Sorry to say, I wasn't able to complete my optimistic shopping list, but I was thrilled to find an economy-sized box of Nature Valley granola bars and pita bread. I almost wet my pants when I discovered a jar of natural peanut butter (the organic kind you have to stir, of course) in the aisles. But the greatest find of all, and I still shake my head at disbelief every time I see it in my fridge, was science's greatest invention of all time: spray butter. I'm talking about the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, God knows what's in it, could this possibly cause cancer? spray butter. I was like a kid in a candy store.

Today I went to the always-dependable Wal-Mart to complete my purchases...I don't know how I do it, but I managed to blow another $100. Guess you can't say I'm not one well-fed sista!


Lookout point atop "Hooker Hill" in Itaewon. Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home