Sunday, May 15, 2005

Buddha's Birthday


Lanterns and a Pagoda. Posted by Hello

Well, this weekend was officially Buddha's birthday, and I wish I could say I visited a nearby temple, but last weekend's Lotus Lantern festivities were enough celebrating for this "wei-guk" (foreigner).

Friday night was my buddy Matt's farewell party in Hongdae (even though he's coming back in a month, there's nothing wrong with an excuse to go out!). I first went with my new rock-climbing partner Seb to a fantastic Thai restaurant before meeting up with a large group of people at Tinpan, a little bar in the area. Once we had our fill of the dive, we headed to a club for some dancing. I was extremely tired, and headed home around 2:00 am.

Saturday morning I awoke to a beautiful day and felt I should spend it inside a shopping mall. I decided to check out the COEX, one of the largest malls in Seoul, mainly because it is located next to a large temple that I planned to visit for Buddha's birthday. Unfortunately, I found myself so swept away with shopping that I was too tired to venture over to the temple. I did have my first run-in with a Korean celebrity, though...as I was sipping a tea on a bench in the mall, I was bombarded by a massive group of squealing teenage girls snapping away with their camera phones at a fashionable young fellow in the middle. I was told by a by-stander that he was a "famous Korean comedian"...whoopee.


Can't get enough lanterns... Posted by Hello

Of all the millions of people in Seoul, I happened to run into an aquantaince in the subway station who invited me to dinner with some of his mates at a restaurant in Gangnam, and after a bit of coaxing, I agreed. We ate at a fabulous all-you-can-eat-and-drink-for-11,000-Won (about $11 US) establishment for some good western grub.

Today we played Itaewon's soccer team at our home pitch in Anyang...and won! The team went out for our usual post-game meal, and I finally dragged ragged self home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home