Sunday, July 17, 2005

Mudfest Mania!!!

What better way to spend a weekend than on a small Asian beach alongside a million people covered in mud? Well, that is exactly what I did down in Daechon Beach this past weekend.


A big pile of.... Posted by Picasa

Saturday we took the EARLY train down to Daechon, which was quite a scenic route that lasted just over two hours...I continue to be flabbergasted by the fact that a round-trip ticket cost less than $20. We arrived in cloudy Daechon (my wish for the monsoons to go away, just for a day, unfortunately did not come true) around 11 am, had brunch, and clad in our don't-mind-if-it-gets-destroyed swim gear, headed to the beach.

The beach was packed with thousands of Koreans and foreigners covered in mud. After getting over the disappointment of not seeing any proper mud pits on the beach in which to roll around, we proceeded to one of the ubiquitous mud umbrellas where we lathered an icky-gray silt over our bodies.


Gettin' down and dirty in the mud! Posted by Picasa

The afternoon was full of various get-down-and-dirty festivities, including a massive inflatable mud slide and a mud-wrestling pit (I am still waiting on my champion belt for my fine performance). Unfortunately, the rains started coming down around 4:00 pm, but seeing as we were already wet and muddy, it certainly did not dampen our spirits.

That evening, I consumed a fabulous meal of fresh steamed clams with some friends before heading back into the rain. The night eventually found me back in the water for a midnight swim before singing songs with a group of Korean strangers on the beach. Finally, around 2:00 am, we dragged our tired, wet bodies to our hotel room and called it a night.


Crazy Korean Ajummas...they came up wanting to dance with us, and as they left, my friend in the hat slapped my...ummm...my left boobie! Posted by Picasa

This morning I was exhausted and just not feeling up for another day in the mud, so I decided to take an early train back home. I was hoping to make it back for our soccer banquet, but much to my chagrin, found upon returning home that it had been postponed.

At any rate, it was a fantastic weekend and a definite "must-see" and "must-do" in the Korean summer. And, oh, how soft my skin feels now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home