Monday, May 23, 2005

Dongdaemun and BBQ

Another busy, busy weekend....however am I surviving this place?

Friday night was the final performance of a band partly composed of two players from my team. The bassist, Ronan, is leaving Korea for good next week, so they played their last gig at a small joint in Itaewon. Of course, I had to be there for moral support! When they were finished, we all headed to another nearby bar, and I soon after called it a night and headed home.

Saturday afternoon I went into town with my friend Seb to check out Dongdaemun, Seoul's massive outdoor shopping area known for great deals and cheap knock-offs. The Mission: buy climbing shoes. We wandered through the pandemonium before entering the first outdoors shop we saw. I immediately fell in love with a little black pair of snug-fitting shoes, made my purchase, and then we were off for lunch. Seb and I then parted ways, and I headed back down to my neck of the woods to attend a housewarming Bar-B-Que hosted by a player on my team at he and his wife's new digs.

Of course, most of the team was there, and we gorged ourselves on fantastic grilled burgers atop his massive rooftop patio. After we had stuffed ourselves silly, we lumbered downstairs to watch the Man-U vs Arsenal soccer match (in which I can honestly say I have no interest, but I am a trooper and therefore pretended to be interested). Once the game was over, a few of us headed to a nearby establishment unexplicably named "The Pirate Bar." It's your run-of-the-mill Korean hof, except for one thing...drinks are served in ice mugs, and once you finish your beverage, you toss your leftover ice at a target in the hopes of winning a prize! It's a fabulous idea, but unfortunately my aim was a wee bit off that evening. It was not an overall exciting evening at the Pirate place; therefore, I will not divulge what time we walked out of there. Let's just say the sun was up as I was climbing into my taxi...

Sunday I awoke to a miserably rainy day...perfect soccer-playing weather! Fortunately, by kick-off time, the rains had subsided and the field was a lovely, muddy disaster. Our team slid around the pitch (a bit too slowly, thanks to the preceding evening's festivities), and sadly we lost 5-1. I did get to play for a good five minutes, though, so I was happy!

After the match we went to a restaurant for my introduction to jjimdak, a fantastic meal of sweet and spicy chicken, noodles, and vegetables served on a massive plate to be shared by all. After dinner we headed to a bar in Anyang to dwell over our loss, and I smartly was home in bed by midnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home