Sunday, February 27, 2005

Graduation Day


"Monkey See, Monkey Do" Posted by Hello

Friday night was a very low-key evening at home alone in preparation for the next morning's graduation festivities. I woke up bright and early Saturday around 7:15 AM, got dressed, and headed to meet the kindergartners and other teachers at a nearby Catholic church. I helped the little ones get dressed in their costumes and we held a quick rehearsal before the show got started at 11:00. The kids did a great job. I directed a couple songs for my seven-year old class, and other than the fact that they were singing way too fast for the music, they were fantastic. The kids were so adorable, and the parents absolutely ate it up. Afterwards, we greeted the parents and took pictures, and I even received a few gifts and flowers.


World's best seven-year-olds. Posted by Hello

After the ceremony was over and all the children and their parents left, we teachers and our director and his wife went to one of the students' parents' restaurant for lunch. The building itself was very inconspicuous in its rural setting, but the food was amazing. It was by far the best meal I've had since being here in Korea. They kept bringing in course after course after course of everything from sushi-grade salmon sashimi to jellyfish to soup. I was stuffed beyond belief.


My favorite kid, the little bully Danny...this is his last day at Swaton. Posted by Hello

I finally got home around 3:00, and just over an hour later (and before I had a chance to relax), my friend Ryan informed me that he and some others were going to be heading into Itaewon at 5:30 pm. One of the guys he works with is going home on Tuesday, so they were all going out one final time to celebrate. We all went to Gecko's and spent the better part of the evening throwing darts and socializing, and Kelly eventually met up with us. After we had our fill of Gecko's, we went to a nearby Noribong (karaoke room) for some Grammy-worthy vocal performances. It was a blast, not to mention a much-needed night of crazy fun for my overworked soul.

Today I was in my pajamas all day long. Since the new kindergarten classes do not start until Thursday, I don't have to be at work tomorrow until 1:00 pm. Tuesday is Korea's Independence Day, so we have a holiday from work, and again Wednesday I will probably only to work the afternoon. This week is promising to be a relatively short and sweet one...and bonus points for not having to work Saturday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home