Friday, February 04, 2005

Jan. 31 - Feb. 4: Bad Teacher

This week was spent in giddy anticipation of next week's four-day (six, including the following weekend) "Lunar New Year" holiday. Initially, we only had Tuesday-Thursday off, with the option to close the school Friday, so long as we had a make-up day on Saturday the 19th. Well, Chris and I were all for the opportunity to have six days away from work; I was having visions of lying in a hammock, sipping a frosty drink, watching the sun set on the ocean.

When we approached our supervisor about it on two separate occasions in December, she complained about having to work on a Saturday, but promised to speak with the director about it. When we returned from Christmas holidays, she still had not spoken to our director, so I knew at that point there was no use in pushing the subject. I buried my warm sandy beach dreams under the reality that I probably needed to stay home and save money anyway.

Well, what do you know...two weeks ago, my supervisor informs us that yes, indeed, we will close the school on Friday. Unfortunately, Korea only has three airlines, and therefore only a small number of flights leave the country each day. People can book multiple tickets months in advance, but don't have to pay until the week before their trip. So, of course everything was completely booked, and as hard as I tried, I could not find a way to get out of this country! So now, I have six days in Seoul with no plans whatsoever!


Child abuse at its worst: a little boy, who doesn't have older sisters, in Hello Kitty! Posted by Hello

This week I found out what a terrible teacher I am. I have this one student, Jun (who is actually on the cover of that newsletter with me), whom I really like, but at times can be a whiny pain in the butt. Anyway, on Monday, he was being a total jerk in class, and after numerous warnings, I was forced to raise my voice and take away five reward stickers (a big deal, let me tell you). When that didn't change his attitude, I took him to see my supervisor to put the fear of God in him.

Well, the next day, I was informed that Jun's mom called and Jun wants to quit Swaton because of me, and it's not the first time this has happened: a teacher swap occurred a few months ago to accommodate this kid's sensitivities. Fortunately, my supervisor, director, and even Jun's mother can see through this kid's manipulative ways. All said, Jun is not quitting Swaton anymore, but there may be another teacher swap...and I feel like the world's meanest teacher!

I need this weekend to release some steam!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home